- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, chilled and cubed, more for greasing pan
- 155 grams all-purpose flour (1 1/4 cups), more as needed
- 95 grams whole wheat pastry flour (3/4 cup)
- 55 grams sugar (1/4 cup)
- 7 grams baking powder (1 1/2 teaspoons)
- 5 grams salt (1 teaspoon)
- 5 grams baking soda (3/4 teaspoon)
- ⅔ cup buttermilk, more for brushing
- 1 large egg
- 90 grams dried currants (about 2/3 cup)
- 8 grams caraway seeds (about 1 1/2 teaspoons
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Lightly grease a large rimmed baking sheet.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry cutter or your fingers, work in butter until mixture forms coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Stir wet mixture into dry one until they just form a moist dough. Stir in currants and caraway seeds.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Shape into a 7-inch round about 1-inch thick. Cut into 8 wedges. Using lightly floured hands, roll each wedge into a ball and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Using kitchen shears, snip a small “x” into the top of each bun. (You can also use a knife.) Brush tops with a little buttermilk, and dust lightly with flour.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven. Bake until buns are golden brown and firm, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before serving.